If you are looking for DotKernel 3 related posts, go here.
We integrated long time ago the WURFL PHP API into DotKernel code base. At that time, the license of that WURFL library was GNU/GPL, which make it perfect compatible with Zend Framework license( new BSD) and DotKernel ( OSL 3.0). Everybody was happy, users was able to make web applications for them or for their customers without worry about licensing costs at all.
On June 6th, 2011, the WURFL PHP API library was updated to version 1.3.0. So we updated too the latest DotKernel 1.5.0 ( now in release candidate stage, soon to be released as stable) , without noticing the change on its license, from GNU/GPL to AGPL which suddenly transform it into a ‘trial only’ library, for “Product evaluation” only.
See the official announcement here.
We respect the work of Luca Passani and Steve Kamerman ( thank you and keep up the good work 🙂 ).
But we must keep DotKernel Application Framework free, without such license limitations. Only thing to do in this stage is :
- remove WURFL PHP API library version 1.3.0 from DotKernel code base
- integrate back version 1.2.1 which is still GNU/GPL
- we are still collecting device informations, so we will contribute to WURFL XML data which remain free. This file, which represent the data itself, it is and must be the industry standard
- fork WURFL PHP APi 1.2.1 to a new library maybe ?
- change the name of that library to avoid trademark issues ?
later edit: the correct link to announcement is here